20th Century GI
August 19, 2019, 03:46:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB Mauser 98k  (Read 3679 times)
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

I am looking to buy a Mauser 98k.  I would prefer it to have all Nazi marks intact and not to have import marks.  I am also looking for it to be a shooter, so if it has some charcter to it is fine with me.  I figured I would check locally before I bought one online.

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
KG1
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »

I bought one from the web site Mitchell's Mausers some time back.  Although pricey, it has all the correct stampings with no additional ones.  It is a good shooter with live ammo and blanks.  My only complaint was that the bolt was pretty darn shiny, but a bottle of cold bluing took care of that.  If you find one locally and cheaper go with that.  The additional advantage is you can hold it in your hands before buying.

Ken Gott
SS Junkerschule/38th SS Grenadier Dv.
Leavenworth, KS
kgott1@kc.rr.com
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:23:46 PM »

I have heard of Mitchell's Mausers before and I have been looking on Gunbroker also, but like you said I would rather hold it and see it in person first.  I have found a well used 1937 Mauser, but the some of the markings are almost worn off and the stock has been Bubba-ed.  I don't mind rebluing it if necessary and rplacing the stock, but I don't know how safe it would be to shoot.  It might make a good display rifle.

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »

Rich,
 98 Mausers are real easy to find and vary in price according to condition. They range in price from several hundred to thousands. I've  seen miss matched ones that are rough and are shooter grade to all matching ones that are for collectors. There are also Russian reworks that are nice but have electric penile serial numbers on the bolt and receiver. These are good shooters but will never be collectable. If you want an all matching gun with a nice stock your looking at $800 to $1000. It seems the prices on nice all matching ones have gone thru the roof.  There are also different manufactures that demand more money.

Another option is the Mod. 48. This has all the features of the 98, but is a post war gun. I bought mine several years ago for under $100.00 at a pawn shop. The last 98 I saw that I was intrested in was at a pawn shop in Jefferson City Mo. It was an WWII gun Nazi marked but the bolt was mis matched from the receiver. It looked like it might have been a bring back. I wanted to buy it, but my money is tight right now. They wanted $220.00 plus tax on the rifle.

Keep your eyes peeled and you'll find just the right one for you.

Scott

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: