20th Century GI
September 16, 2019, 11:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 15-17 Jan 010, Nevada, MO: January 15, 2010 - January 17, 2010
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 15-17 January 2010, Battle of the Bulge Tactical, Camp Clark, Nevada, MO  (Read 20039 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 05:31:49 AM »

The Weather forcast for Nevada, MO

Friday - Sunday, 15-17 January 2010

Low in the Mid 20's
High in the Low 40's
Cloudy

'See ya out there'

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 10:43:56 PM »

REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT IS NOW CLOSED!
We have completely filled all of the available barracks spaces. Thank you to everyone for your support. The final registration count is 165 Allied and 100 German. We look forward to seeing you all at Camp Clark on the 15th.

Dave Hruska
Event Coordinator

"see you out there"
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »

AAR on Camp Clark.

Once again, the team of Dave Hursha and the 35 I.D. did a great job this past weekend at the Camp Clark event. I can't say enough good things about this event. We arrived on Friday night at 1550 before most reenactors got there. Our group was in the big main administration building.  This building had 3 bays with one area having 60 bunks and another 2 bays, with 30 bunks each. The buildings also had showers and toilets. You were also issues $5.00 worth of script to use in the P/X.

At 2200 on Friday night there was a Commanders meeting where we were briefed on the battles and the rules of engagement. We were also told about the battles and how they were going to run. The 35th used a 3 lane process that worked quite well. The group also used O.C's to call hits and move the battles along. The 35ID decided that if you were an attacking unit you would have unlimited hits and if you were defending you would get 2 or 3 hits depending what the O.C. told you. This worked out real well and made the battles flow. They gave a 2 hour limit to each battle that also make things run real smooth.

The three battles were, Move to contact, Defend, and Attack. There were no organized lunch breaks. This wasn't an issue due to time getting to your battle area, and other units setting up. You always had time to eat or take a rest. The battle area is huge being over 1 mile square. It doesn't sound like much but at the end of the day your tired out. There was 3 main bodies on the Allied side and 3 main bodies on the German side. The 35I.D.  made sure that you this  didn't fight the same group twice.

I felt the battles were great. I thought the O.C's did a great job and had communication with each other. There were only a hand full of complaints about people taking there hits and not doing what they were suppose to.
For me this made a great weekend with alot of fun in the field and over great time. I brought over 200 rounds of ammo and shot up all but 10 rounds. The only reason I didn't run out is I took a big fall out of the jeep and was hurting and didn't get in on the last part on the last battle. I talked to a group that took over 3000 round into the field and shot almost all there ammo.  I also think that everyone axis and allied did a good job of taking hit.

I've said if before and I'll say it again, this is the best tactical battle in the Midwest. Thank you Dave Hurska and the team of the 35ID for doing this battle. This group is truly a bunch of professionals.

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
Sean Thornton
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

The Camp Clark Tactical at Nevada, MO this past weekend was fantastic.  It was one of the best tacticals and best run tacticals I have been to over the years.  Dave Hruska and his unit did a super job.  The facilities were first rate.  With a registration of only $20 I got to stay 2 nights in the barracks with hot showers, supper and  breakfast along with $5 in script for candy, popcorn pop etc.  It was a lot of “bang for the buck”.  There were 3 different scenarios fought in 3 different lanes so you did not have fight the same group twice. The town was a great lane to fight in. Our ambush of the unfortunate Germans worked to perfection with none of the 20 to 25 Germans getting out alive.  Out of our 11 man platoon we were armed with 5 semi-auto ppsh, an MP 40 and a semi-auto PPs 43and then 3 Mosin-Nagants. Ammunition for us was never a problem as most of the sub-gunners carried 500 to 800 rounds(We had 5000-6000 rounds and shot most of it). The OCs did a great job.  We also had a Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle that work great with the OC system giving us 3 kills. This is one event I will look forward to next year.  Again Dave Hruska and unit did an outstanding job.
Sasha
KG1
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »

I would like to echo the other AAR comments in saying that Dave and his team did indeed organize and host a stellar event.  For it's size, organization, and support you will not find a better event within 200 miles or more.
As an O/C again this year I offer a few tips for the participating units:
- Get organized.  The "platoons" were formed by combining bits and pieces of reenactor units from all over the country.  Form squads and teams with strong leaders and establish a means of communication between units.  Units tended to become mobs after first contact.
- Use these squads to conduct fire and maneuver.  We O/Cs took covering fire into account when it was used.
- Count up the numer of rounds you are carrying and divide by three.  Remind yourself if you fire more than that during the first two engagments you won't have enough for the final battle.
- Prepare for a lot of walking, on the order of ten miles or so.  Break in your boots ahead of time and bring a change of socks.  Get in shape too.  At fifty years old I'm no spring chicken, but I was surprised at how tough a time some of the young bucks were having.
- Safety safety safety.  Even after being told the rules, there were a few violations.
- The O/Cs did the best they could to make a call on hits.  We couldn't be everywhere and didn't see every shot.  With the multiple lives available there was no reason not to take a hit if you saw the shooter and muzzle flash.  Most everyone gets tunnel vision in combat and it's often the guy you don't see off to the side that gets you, BTW.  I had no major problems with the groups I supported, but there was some grousing.
- Lastly, don't quit.  You might be tired and cold and even out of ammunition, but there are guys in your composite unit and across the field who travelled a long way to participate.  Play to the finish.
Again, great event, and one to put on your calendar for next year.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:36:13 PM by KG1 » Logged

Ken Gott
SS Junkerschule/38th SS Grenadier Dv.
Leavenworth, KS
kgott1@kc.rr.com
crazydima
Private First Class

I love this hobby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »

Tovarischi,

On behalf of the 416th Rifle Regiment of the 112th Rifle Division of the Glorious RKKA I want to extend our deepest thanks to the members of G Co. 135th Infantry for their efforts to host and run a first rate event. I have not found a better deal where for $20.00 you get as much as you do at Camp Clark. Other events could learn a lot from what you folks have put together.

The is the 3rd year I have attended and each time it keeps getting bigger and better. An additional thanks to all of the German Forces who took the time to turn out and give the Allies a good challenge.

Once again the use of O/Cs helped to keep things on track as well as maintain clarity and keep things moving and to prevent bug hunts and stalemates from happening. Once again thanks to you for donating your time to serve in that capacity. I wish more folks in the hobby would do so.

Our force of 11 Frontoviks served as a deep recon unit sometimes serving behind German lines which regardless of location it was a thrill. We successfully fulfilled all of the mission objectives given to us (2 area recons and a route recon). It was good that we had 7 sub guns(6 semi-auto, one full auto), 1 sniper, 1 Mosin rifle Mosin two Mosin carbines plus plenty of grenades and some land mines.

It was a big thrill to watch as our sniper was able to neutralize targets at a distance through the use of the O/C. This added a new level to the whole situation.

It was also a thrill to sneak up on the kuble with AT-gun on the road and neutralize it as well. We really wanted to take the AT gun with us as a prize since it was a Russian gun. LOL!

The highlight of the weekend for our unit was the ambush which we successfully sprung upon elements of the 1st SS. Our hats are off to those folks for taking awesome hits and reacting the way they did. Outstanding!!!! Anytime you would like to do that again we will be happy to help you out at no extra charge. LOL!

Again a big thanks to all of you you busted your humps to make this event one of the best in the Midwest!!!!

We are looking forward to next year!

Sincerely,

Dima
(one who enjoys a good event)

Robert Leinweber
416th Rifles, 112th Rifle Division - RKKA (1939 - 1945)
A Troop, 106th CRS - USA (1941 - 1945)
USMC (1942-1945) Ding Hao Boys
Batallon de Cazadores No. 25 - Spain (1895 - 1898)
Independnet Company Sharpshooters - USA / CSA (1861 - 1865)
KG1
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »

Yes, "Dima", that was one good ambush.  Probably the best I've seen ever in 30 years.  I saw it coming but couldn't do a thing to stop it.  (One could see the little red stars on the hats as your guys peeked through the bushes and over the ditch at the bridge.)  I fought the urge to tell my son, "you better get ready to fire that thing" (rifle).  The only thing missing was a final assault, which was probably not needed and would have been danger-close for safety anyway.

Ken Gott
SS Junkerschule/38th SS Grenadier Dv.
Leavenworth, KS
kgott1@kc.rr.com
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »

This is the 4th year for this event and I have had the pleasure of attending all of them.  The Battle of the Bulge, Camp Clark, Nevada, MO is like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

The 35th ID puts on what I consider to be the best event in the Midwest, there hard work and dedication has made this 'the' one event to attend each year. There total commitment to excellence and organisational abilities bring to the reenacting community a much needed break from the usual humdrum tactical.

The use of OC's, working in multiple lanes, rotating the players and the playing field, adjusting the number of hits from each scenario are all designed to keep the event fluid and exciting. 

This is also the best value of any event which I have ever attended.  For $20 you get a bed, showers, breakfast, dinner and script for snacks.  Vendors have a free space to sell, plenty of parking, easy access to the event site and a lot of good company.

If you do not attend the Battle of the bulge, Camp Clark, Nevada, MO next year, you are missing the best in the mid west.  And may your fine wine be corked!

"see you out there"
35divmp
Tech/5

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »

It was a great event...pure and simple.  It was also a walk back in time for me as well.  I'd been to Camp Clark a number of times in the past 28 years with the Missouri National Guard and was amazed at what was no longer around...

On the bright side I came home with less "crap" than I brought, a pocket full of dinero, and only 12 blanks left.

If you didn't go, then you missed a great event!

Hope to see some pictures on this forum and in the Photo Gallery!

Jay Sproat
35th Inf. Div., MP Plt.

Jay Sproat
Sgt. 35th Inf. Div., MP Plt (US-recreated-HRS)
Class III owner, historian, WWII reenactor
ex-Point editor 1985-87 (HRS)
ex-Breakthrough editor 1988-95 (TSG)
ex-High Ground editor (1 issue) 2005 (WWIILHR)

www.cheapcrapyoudontneedenterprises.com or www.ccydne.com
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

papajoad's photos of the Camp Clark event are now posted in the Photo Gallery.  Please access the Photo Gallery with the button at the left and go to 2010 Events page.

thank youk,
papajoad

"see you out there"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: