20th Century GI
December 19, 2018, 04:12:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 7 Nov 09, Ottawa, KS: November 07, 2009
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7 November 2009, Parade of Soldiers, Ottawa, Kansas  (Read 7942 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »

7 November 2009, Parade of Soldiers, Ottawa, Kansas

10th Annual “OTTAWA VETERANS DAY” EVENT, ”Parade of Soldiers"

November - 7, 2009 9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M

Forest Park, Ottawa, Kansas

Parade, Power Point Displays, WW1 Display & Demonstrations, WW II Re-enacting

WW II Firing Demonstrations & Displays, Civil War Firing Demonstration, & Displays

Civil War Bivouacs & Camp fire singing, Mountain Men Demonstration & Displays

Cowboy Shout-out, USO Show, Healing Field of Flags Tour: [over 500 flags on display]

Military Vehicles Displays: WW1, to Desert Storm

Evening Programs every night

Over night camping

Venders Welcome

Ray Shumate, WWII / Civil War Coordinator

rayshumate@yahoo.com <blockedmailto:rayshumate@yahoo.com>  phone 785-242-9641

Sherry Wright, Parade Coordinator

blueangelks47@yahoo.com <blockedmailto:blueangelks47@yahoo.com>  phone 785-418-4237

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »

This is a very nice event that we have been to a number of years and will be back to in numbers.  We are looking forward to it.

LTC Tim
STEVED.
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »

Be careful at this event to make sure you have insurance.  Lips Sealed
 Past Problems with reckless re-enactors who had been warned ( but ignored those warnings ) had resulted in personal injuries to re-enactors there.  This same dangerous individual who cannot follow instructions and his tribe have made it a point to attend again, so large number of local re-enactors who in the past have attended,  have chosen NOT to attend this year. This is also the main reason the regional re-enacting society ( MLHA ) is NOT running it ths year.  Be forewarned.
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »

Nov 7 is getting closer and I wanted to put out a small update the battle plans are basically done thanks to Dustin Strong, Ray and myself meeting today As it stands right now, if I forget anyone please let me know.  For the WWII Reenactment the Command Staff for the event is as follows I am the overall Commander and Axis Commander, Dave Hruska is the Allied Commander as well as the Safety - Authenticity Officer for Allied Troops unless Dave has a volunteer in mind for one of the Allied Roles. Dustin Strong is the Axis Field Commander my number two as his knows and did a lot of the Battle planning.  Dave Furnas is the Axis Safety and Authenticity Officer and the Axis 3rd in Command.  If for some reason I cannot make it due to work or something Dustin Strong due to his knowledge of the battle plans and the pyro plans will be Over All CO, Dave Furnas with  then be the Axis Field Commander.  I want to thank everyone who is planning on coming to the event  and those who have volunteered to help run and plan the event I look forward to seeing you all there.

The Battle is planned for 1300 hours on Saturday November 7, 2009 as there will be a fair amount of pyro and maneuvering during the battle there will be an Unit Commanders Officer meeting and walk trough at approximately 0930 hours which will cause the Unit COs to miss the parade.  Right after the Parade we will be having a meeting with everyone who will be in the battle for safety reasons anyone wanting to be in the battle needs to be there at this meeting we will also do the Safety/Authenticity inspections both meeting will be on the battle field.  Please forward this information to any unit commanders you know are coming to this event that I do not have listed on this e-mail.  Thank you for your help

John Colyer

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »

Please be aware that the individual who posted the comment above the update from Gary is running a different event in a different town the same weekend.  He is trying to get people to come to his event instead.  It is pretty transparent to everyone involved.  It is sour grapes on a big scale. 

The last numbers I saw for the event was more than 60 if not 70.

The individual he is talking about is me.  If he was so scared of my unit, why did he come to Branson last year (which my unit ran) and take money from us to do it?  I dont get it. 

LTC Tim
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:06:34 PM by Railsplitter » Logged
STEVED.
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 08:15:17 PM »

Please be aware that the individual who posted the comment above the update from Gary is running a different event in a different town the same weekend.

** typical misinformation again on mr sherers part, the message was from John Colyer, not "gary', and I am not running any other event. I had been approached to run Ottawa, but after learning about mr shrerers impending appearance, I declined to put my associations insurance at risk with a known "loose cannon".  Therefore the organizers decided to find someone else to run their event.  As to my post, it was only to advise the danger of not having insurance for ones self when persons who have such a track record as yours.   These include at a previous time at THIS EVENT,  of failing to follow EXPLICIT DIRECTED TO YOU instructions, and then NOT training your unit members as to proper safety ( why one of them shot a re-enactor point blank at his face ), and THEN denying that you or your unit members were the ones involved.  Not even going back to past events where you were almost the victim of a beating from re-enactors because you had almost ruined an event by damaging property.  THATS why you had been advised times before to stay home, and NOT come over to events held here.  This event is welcome to you, its their insurance( or possible lack there of).

He is trying to get people to come to his event instead. 

** Haven't made any mention of the event I am going to except to re-enactors I know that were NOT planning on attending Ottawa due to your presence, sorry.  Again, just an event I am attending, not running anything.

It is pretty transparent to everyone involved.  It is sour grapes on a big scale.

** Transparency, this coming from a guy who emails "some" people about his intentions to attend, but not all, especially when he knows they will NOT want him to attend due to his track record.  Once I found out about your "go around" on the email with the organizers the gig was up. Sorry, you are not as sneaky a shit as you used to be.

The last numbers I saw for the event was more than 60 if not 70.

** I believe this year like on of the previous years you attended and most locals did not, they again will be asking for volunteer re-enactors form the audience.  Looking at those past pictures of long haired ill uniformed people, its a shame to put that out as a public event.

The individual he is talking about is me.  If he was so scared of my unit, why did he come to Branson last year (which my unit ran) and take money from us to do it? 

** Scared ? Not hardly, but I DO care about my fellow re-enactors, and do not want any one to make an uninformed decision to attend without knowing the chances.  Another reason why we are NOT attending YOUR units event ( why aren't YOU patronizing your own units event ? ) this year is safety as well.  REAL concertina / razor wire ? Pyro that throws chunks of rock as big as your fist up in the air ?  What kinda nuts is that ?  Money ? Yeah, gas reimbursement for hauling my brothers KubelKar down & back.  Least it covered almost all that cost.  Memory serves me I also paid Heath's Dad for the jeep they brought to Kincaid that you had haul your butt around to jack up that event too..

I dont get it.

** Now THATS an understatement !
Steve
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »

Gentlemen,

Please take this off line and go at each other in PM's only.  I do not wish for my Forum to be used as a place for people to degrade events or other re-enactors for any reason. 

If you con only make a negative comment about an Event as to your experience was that bad, that would be an honest comment on your part but please leave personal comments about individuals out.  Having said that, I do expect there to be a rebuttal from the Event organiser, but again leave the personal comments about individuals out and please go to a PM for such comments to each other, and then please let the matter rest.

I do want honest comments about events and accurate AAR's but leave the personal comments about each other out, that is what Private Messages by email to each other are all about.  As members of this site you have access to each others emails by going to members and clicking on there profile.

Again, I want honest and accurate commentary on events as that is how re-enactors make decisions about which ones to go to but once again please leave out the personal comments about each other.

papajoad
site owner and moderator.
20th Century G.I.

PS:  Steved, how about up-loading a photo of your self in military uniform so we know who you are.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:21:12 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
STEVED.
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »

Will try to get an updated pic for my "avitar".  Only one I currently have on file is when I did VC ( Hey, someones gotta be the enemy ! ) way back when we did Vietnam era events around here.  Best thing about doing VC is picking your own impression name.  Steve Long Dong, the kids is Sum Yung Gook.

Steve
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »

This is 20th Century impressions, German, VC whatever is good.

papajoad

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »

The numbers from the organizers about a week ago are 60-70 for the 2009 event. 

The Branson event funding went down and we decided to support two different events this weekend.  There was no battle at Branson so we are taking a chunk of the unit to Ottawa and some of it is going to Branson.  We are one of the few units big enough to do both events in decent numbers.   

I will let people judge for themselves what is really going on here by the posts.  See many of you at Ottawa.

Oh yeah, it is S-C-H-E-R-R-E-R.

LTC Tim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:26:02 PM by Railsplitter » Logged
Nordlandhq
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »

Hello All
Just a note about the Ottawa Veterans Day Event Saturday November 7, 2009 it was a very fun and safe event and the battle was very well done with the use of pyro and vehicles. There were approximately 70 reenactors as well as vehicle owners and drivers. All of the reenactors and vehicle owners did a super job. In this public display battle we had the Axis troops be more aggressive than your normal Display battle with recon attack and counter attacks.  The Axis Troops carried the day until the last when Over whelming Allied forces artillery and equipment rolled over the Axis forces.  If you did not attend you missed a great show the majority opinion was it was the best battle ever.  On the note of safety this event was accredited and insured event by the WWII HRS and run under their strict safety and authenticity standards.  Those who took part in it can be proud of their selves for a job well done I was honored to help with this event to Honor those who served.
John Colyer
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08:37 PM »

John...Ray counted it more like 85 including the Ft Riley Germans.  I had 30 there.  There were about 55 Allies (I had 4 in the parade that sat out the battle) and about 40 Germans.  Overall we had a great weekend.  We finally got picked up at 1500 on Sunday.  Thanks for a great weekend.

LTC Tim
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:23:10 AM by Railsplitter » Logged
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »

This email came in to me today, forwarded by Ray and John.  I comes from the platoon sergeant of the Ft Riley contingent that played German.

"We were also impressed with how the JROTC from the H Co. 84th conducted themselves in the event, they were disciplined in the execution of fire and movement drills, and conducting safety kill as they closed the distance.

I as a NCO now with 15 years in service, it is hard to train grown men to maintain that kind of discipline unless they are trained constantly. It is evident whom ever is their unit commander has put a lot of time and effort to have his students to be trained to such a degree."

There ya go..the opinion of a 15 Year SFC in the Army about my unit's safety.  I hope this puts the earlier posting to rest. 

LTC Tim

Nordlandhq
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »

Thank you for correcting my count I got a little busy with coordinating pyro, troop and vehicle movements.  But from what I have heard the crowd loved the battle and everyone did a super job which made my job as Overall Commander a lot easier I will say I had a great easy to get along with and hard working group of reenactors and vehicle owners to work with.  My Thanks to them all.  Also my Heart felt thanks to all those who have and are serving our Nation in the Military.
John
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »

I think this was the best Ottawa yet and the future is quite bright for this event.

LTC Tim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: