20th Century GI
December 17, 2018, 11:29:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CANTEEN MAINTENANCE  (Read 14707 times)
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »

Canteen Maintenance

One of the most used piece of equipment that all of us reenactors use is our canteen. However, it is one of the most abused. It seems  we use our canteen a lot at every reenactment but it seldom gets cleaned or checked.  All canteens that we use are either stainless steel or aluminum. Most all of us don’t know how or never do clean out our canteen. I want to share some ideas on how to clean canteens and maintain them.

First of all, we don’t want to drink out of a dirty or rusty canteen. Quite simply, this is not a good thing to do. This can cause nasty things to happen to you. I’ve known guys that have gotten sick and had diahrrea from drinking water out of a dirty canteen. Not real fun when you have to drive home from an reenactment and have to stop every 15 minutes to go to the bathroom. Also, make sure the water you put into your canteen is potable.

I was at a reenactment in Jan. ’09 at Camp Clark the night before the battle talking to some fellow reenactors, when a guy pulled out a new reproduction WWII style canteen. I asked the guy, “why did you buy a new repro canteen when there are a lot of originals- still out there” the guy looked at me and said, “ I want a clean one” I looked at him and said, “You do know you can clean your canteen”. The guy looked at me like he didn’t know that.

If you decide to buy an original WWII style canteen, there are several things you need to look at. First the over all condition. Next look at the cap and cork. Then look at the cup and the overall condition on the cover. Next comes the step that everyone forgets. Look at the inside of the canteen with a small flashlight. Look  inside for rust and grime that might not be able to be removed. If the canteen is rusted, select another canteen. Also, look at the cap and cork to make sure they aren't broken and cork is ok. If you don’t want to go thru this you might be better off to buy a new reproduction canteen.

Clean your canteen cap and cork. The easiest way to clean your canteen is to remove the cap and boil the canteen in boiling water. Let the canteen boil on low heat for 1 hour. This will loosen up any dirt and grime that might be inside the canteen. After this is done inspect the canteen for dirt or rust on the inside. Repeat the boiling if you feel the canteen is still dirty.

Clean the canteen cap and cork with hot soapy water. Re assemble the canteen cap to the canteen and check for leaks. In most cases I replace the canteen cork.

Another way to clean the inside of your canteen is to add a teaspoon of  bleach  to a full canteen of water. This will kill most all the germs that are on the inside. However the boiling method is much better. Warning:  DO NOT Put too MUCH BLEACH IN AN ALUMINUM CANTEEN… This will destroy the canteen. Trust me, I’m put too much bleach in and have destroyed a original canteen.

I have also used Efferdent denture cleaner. This uses chemicals to clean the inside and does a fair job. It also leaves the canteen smelling minty.

Clean the canteen cup with hot water and soap or put it in the dishwasher. Check for rust and try to keep the cup as clean as you can.

That is all,

Capt. Scott Wilke

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »

I do one if not all of those tips with each of my canteens! Thanks for simple, but often overlooked ideas on cleaning and maintaining your canteens and cups!

Brent Reeves
20th Engineering Combat Battalion
cco23i
Private First Class

"Where's those damn armorers?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »

Another thing you can do is put a tablespoon of BB's in the canteen with hot soapy water and shake vigorously for about a minuite, then rinse alot!!

Scott

Msgt. Scott Dunkirk
AZGCLHU Inc.
IYAMYAS
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: