20th Century GI
December 19, 2018, 04:19:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 9 May 09, St. Louis, MO: May 09, 2009
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 May 2009, 1st Annual History Hike, Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO  (Read 8395 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »

9 May 2009, 1st Annual History Hike, Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO

20TH CENTURY G.I. PRESENTS
“A WALK IN THE SUN”
1ST ANNUAL HISTORY HIKE
9 MAY 2009
JEFFERSON BARRACKS
ST LOUIS, MO

JEFFERSON BARACKS, ST LOUIS, MO, 9 MAY 2009, 9:00 AM

THIS HIKE IS TO CELIBRATE THE HISTORY OF JEFFERSON BARRACKS, ALL MILITARY AND CIVILAN IMPRESSIONS FROM 1826 TO THE PRESENT ARE WELCOME!  PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR IMPRESSION TO REFLECT THE HISTORY OF JEFFERSON BARRACKS.

ALONG THE ROUTE OF THE HIKE, THERE WILL BE SEVERAL STATIONS.  AT EACH STATION WE WILL HOLD A BRIEF DISCUSSION OF THE HISTORICAL SIGNIFANCE OF THAT AREA.   

AUTHENTICITY WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED FOR YOUR IMPRESSION, WEAPONS ARE ALLOWED, NO AMMUNITION ALLOWED.  BRING A TACTICAL LUNCH.

THE DISTANCE WILL CORRESPOND TO THAT OF A CROSS COUNTRY RUN AND WILL BE VISIBLE TO THE PUBLIC. 

FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO R.S.V.P. PLEASE GO TO:

www.20thcenturygi.com

TAKE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHS, LEAVE ONLY FOOT PRINTS
“SEE YOU OUT THERE”

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:05:47 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

Troop,
I walked the route of the hike today, if taken at a leisurely pace, this will be about a 2hr walk.  The hike will give you the opportunity to see the park from a different view as we go cross country.  This hike is designed to high light the history of Jefferson Barracks as we visit many historic sites.

I hope you will take this opportunity to see Jefferson Barracks Park in a differant way.  All impressions are welcome, and there will be displays after the hike in Camp Callander.

papajoad 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:06:26 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »

Troop,

I have upped the anti, the Hike is now around 3-31/2 hrs.  There will be stations at which we will stop and a brief talk on the Historical significance of that area.  I hiked the entire route today, it was beautiful, it was snowing and around 17 degrees, of course the hike is 9 May so the weather will be much better.

I also blazed a trail through the wilds of the park in which the deer are the only inhabitants and I marked it with orange ribbon, I have walked this area twice now and it is really easy.

As a kid I used to play in this park all of the time, it was only about 2 miles from home, an easy walk, so I know my way around quite well.  The next part of this project is to create a handout of the historical significance of the areas through which we will hike supported with reproductions of historic post cards to show what it looked like during WWII.

Personally I'm very excited about this Historic Hike through one of the most significant Military Post in U.S. History.

I hope to see all of you there on 9 May 2009.

papajoad       
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:10:28 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »

The Hike is set, the route is mapped and it is just short of 5 miles.  So far we have Civil War, WWII, WWII Homefront participants.  Be sure to use good footware.  Most of the hike will be on trimmed grass around the park, there will be one stretch which will take us from Grant Shelter to Black Hawk Shelter through the wilds of JB. 

I have spent the last couple of weekends marking and cutting the trail in the wilds, both high water and low water routs so we can keep our feet dry.  The need for the high water trail is do to the fact that the lower bottom area, (known to local kids as Buster Creek), of the woods is a drain field from the storm water runoff form Kingston Dr, which borders the park on the western side and the water settles in that area.  Not to worry, I have marked a clear path on the high ground just in case this area is to wet to traverse.

Also, please be prepaired to do a Uniform and Equipment talk, (fashion show), during the hike.  I would like for the earlist periods,(if in attendance), such as Rev War or the War of 1812 and Indian Wars to talk at Camp Calander, Civil War through WW I at the site of Grant House on the scenic overlook and WW II at the Beverage Garden in Sylvan Springs Park and any modern time periods to talk at Grant Shelter. This should only take a few minutes and you do not have to go into a great amount of detail and this will also provide time to take a break and rest those tired feet.

And remember, after the hike if you would like to set up any small displays for our group and any members of the public that may show-up please do.  I plan on bringing my small Jefferson Barracks display for viewing during the snack time.

Please RSVP so I can figure on the food.

"See you out there"
papajod

To see photos of Jefferson Barracks, please go to the Photo Gallery of 20th Century G.I., go to Miscellaneous photos, go to Historic Jefferson Barracks, this is a work in progress, so please check back offten, as I'm adding Historic information to the photos and new photos each month.     
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:07:43 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »

The trail through the woods is almost complete, I have hand cut and cleared the ground to make the trail more permanent.  There are some pictures of the new trail in the Photo Gallery under 2009 Events. Also,there are a lot of Deer in this area and a large number of birds so your never quite alone.  In another weekend the woods trail should be complete.

I hope to see you out there.

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »

I spent 5 hrs today finishing the Natural portion of the trail from Grant Shelter to Buster Creak.  This portion of the trail is 3ft wide and completely clear.  You can walk through with out any shrubbery (think Monty Python when you say "shrubbery"), hitting you in the head or poking you in the side.  This portion of the trail is seeing heavy use by people and animals, (deer), thus it is very hard packed and it is already taking on a permanent look.

There were two areas which were blocked with a huge amounts of dead-fall, so I had to cut two bypass trails around those, which still left me with one part that I spent over 1 hour to cut through the trees, but it looks really good now.   

The next section of trail leads from Buster Creek to Black Hawk Shelter.  This part of the trail, except the high water section which I cut last week, already existed, it just needs improvement.  I hope to complete the clearing and widening tomorrow at which point the Natural portion of the Hiking Trail from Grant Shelter to Black Hawk shelter will be complete.  Now keep in mind that this is only a small portion of the over-all trail which we will use on 9 May, that hike will be 5 miles.

All that is left for me to do after finishing the trail will be to write the Guide booklet for each of the stations.

I'm looking forward to the hike and I hope to see all of your smiling faces there on 9 May.

"See you out there"
papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »

Another 5 hrs cutting the trail today, IT IS DONE!!!  The section from Buster Creek to Black Hawk Shelter is now clear and clean.  Both high water and low water trails are finished.  Now having said that, I have decided to make a loop at the Black Hawk Shelter section, part of the trail is already there, it just needs improvement, and this loop will not cross Buster creek but will take you back to Black Hawk Shelter.  I surveyed the route for the loop and it should take about another 5hrs to clear.  This will not be a part of the 9 May hike, this is just for fun. Also, I'm thinking about a loop on the Grant Shelter side of the trail, again this will not cross Buster Creek, but a loop that will take you back to Grant Shelter, thus there will be to loops that could be connected together or walked separately.

While working today I had a chance to talk to several individuals walking there dogs and some families walking there kids on the new trail, in all cases there comments were very good, and there suprise at finding out that I'm the only one constructing the trails was quite funny. I really think that this new Natural Trail through this part of the park will become an asset to the park. 

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »

Today I spent 6 hrs on the new trail.  I completely opened up all 4 entrances to the trail, now any one walking or driving by should be able to see the trail.  I made each entrance very wide and cleared in depth to make the new trail inviting.  Then I did improvment work on the high water section from Gregg Rd to the Black Hawk section. 

Marc gave me a copy of the 1943/44 map of JB.  It appears that JB at one time was crossed by many dirt or gravel trails each named after one of the campaigns of the 6th Infantry Regiment which call JB home from 1827 until 1939 when the 6th Infantry Regiment became the 6th Armored Infantry and formed the 1st Armored Division.   As it turns out, part of the High Water Trail follows the path of the old Nebraska Trail.  Here are some of the other trail names.  Little Big Horn Run, Kansas Trail, Dakota Trail and Black Hawk Run.

Next I cleared the trail on the Black Hawk section making it a complete loop.  This way if Buster Creek is too high and you do'nt want to use the high water trail which will take  you on to the public sidewalk for a short distance, you can do a loop spending more time in the woods and returning to Black Hawk Shelter.

Next I plan on clearing a loop on the Grant Shelter side, this way you can spend more time in the woods, and you can either walk 2 complete loops connected by a straight trail or you could turn it into a kind of figure 8 and have a long hike.  In time I will gauge the millage and post it.   

papajoad

"see you out there"
Sweetmeat
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

Wish I could make it to this one. My brother is planning a mother's day/birthday party I have to go to.
Buster
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »

Weather forecast looks good for Saturday!  See you out there.  Thanks for "hosting" Gary.

Buster
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

Troop,

So far the weather forecast is good for Saturday, I will only cancel the hike if it looks like rain all day, so plan on being there.  This hike is for all people not just re-enactors so bring out the family and friends it should be a lot of fun.

I hope to have several copies of the history guide to hand out which will help me to illustrate the various historic sites which we will be talking about this weekend.

Also, I have a suggestion, if you want to do the hike but not all of it, plain on your breaking off point and park your car there that way you can leave at any time, but remember the hike starts at 9am.  Other than the National Cemetery and Sylvan Springs Park, the entire hike will be in Jefferson Barracks park. 

After the hike I will set up a small display of my Jefferson Barracks collection, it is not very big but there are some interesting things to look at.  Also, I will apologize in advance but due to wage and hour cuts at my jobs for the last several months, I can not afford the dogs and soda picnic after the hike, so please bring a tactical lunch with you if you care.

I hope to see all of you there this Saturday for a "Walk in the Sun"

Thank you,

papajoad

"see you out there"
Ranger_Nick
2nd Rangers Field Command
Private First Class

Semper Adduco

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »

I'm in.  Got one prospective Ranger Recruit confirmed and another on the invite.  See you there.

N
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:07:17 PM »

We have a secret benefactor, the dog's and chips/soda picnic after the hike is back on.  Thus plan on having some chow after the hike at camp Collander.

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 08:45:58 PM »

Remember everyone is welcome to participate in the hike, not just re-enactors, we are just a part of the fun and the connection to the History of Jefferson Barracks.

papajoad

"see you out there"
Hollywood
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »

Gary,

I have to work on Saturday but I may try to come out afterwards. How long are you all planning on being at JB?

-Pete
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: