20th Century GI
December 17, 2018, 11:29:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 24-26 April 09, St. Louis, MO: April 24, 2009 - April 26, 2009
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 24-26 April 2009, Worl War II Weekend, Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO  (Read 8980 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »

24-26 April 2009, World War II Weekend, Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO

Sponsored by the 2nd Ranger Battalion, St. Louis, MO

This is the largest event in the St. Louis area.  Large camp displays, public battles, vendors, vehicles.

Watch for more information as it becomes available.

Please check the PBS Living in St. Louis Program from 2008:
http://www.ketc.org/yourstories/livingstlouis_reenactors.asp

For more information contact:  Halfhourdoc@aol.com

or go the the 2nd Ranger website: http://www.2ndrangers.org/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 07:10:10 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:52:33 PM »

We will be posting the map for reserved camping sites soon. Those who camped in the same areas last year will get the same camping sites they called for this year. If they don't plan on attending they can contact me about giving up their old spot.

Kevin:  Halfhourdoc@aol.com

"see you out there"
Sweetmeat
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 02:01:01 AM »

Hey all,

Check out the info on WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks on our improved website. click the events tab and check WWII Weekend under "Camp" for a list of available camp sites. You may want to check out the site a bit too. it has many new features that you may enjoy. It isn't 100% finished but very close. Changes are made daily so keep your eye on it.

www.2ndrangers.org.

Cpl. Kevin Owens
  President
  D Co. 2nd Ranger Bn (reenacted)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »

Reenactors,

I would first like to welcome you all to WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks. The reason for this update is to inform the vehicle owners that we have worked out an arrangement for reimbursement of vehicles. When you bring your vehicle to Jefferson Barracks, make sure you register it with us at the registration tent.  We will be issuing tax donation receipts to ALL  vehicle owners. You will be able to write off your gas, mileage, and if you used a transport company, you can write that off as well. You are donating your vehicle for use and display to a 501 (c)3 nonprofit organization event. Second, We have applied for a grant. We can only spend the grant money on what is approved from the company we receive it from, IF it is approved. We asked for transportation expenses in this grant, and if they approve of it, then we can divide the transportation money evenly among vehicle owners bringing vehicles the size of WC51s and bigger. Such as half tracks, tanks, 2.5 ton trucks that will be used in the battle, and to help transport troops, equipment and such. Large static display vehicles will not be eligible for the potential extra money. Grant approval doesn't come back to us until sometime in July, so we will need your mailing information. There is no grantee we will be able to get the extra funding from the grant for the extra money, But a tax donation receipt you can write off on your 2009 taxes is better than nothing.  If you have people in your unit bringing vehicles please pass this information on to them.

Thank you for your participation in WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks.
--

Cpl. Kevin A. Owens : D Co. 2nd Ranger Bn (reenacted)
2ndRangers.org : k.owens@2ndrangers.org : (314) 960-1611
President : U.S. 2nd Ranger Infantry Battalion of St.Louis, Inc.

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »

Check out the Event Poster:  http://2ndrangers.org/images/wwii_weekend/WWII_Weekend_2009.pdf

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:32 AM »

NEW THIS YEAR!!!   "THE JEEP HILL CHALLENGE"  A PT RUNNING CONTEST FOR RE-ENACTORS!  SIGN-UP IN THE FIRST SPECIAL SERVICE FORCE CAMP!

WW II WEEKEND, JEFFERSON BARRACKS, ST.LOUIS, MO
HOSTED BY THE 2ND RANGER BATTALION
“THE JEEP HILL CHALLENGE”
A CONTEST
25 April 2009, 3 pm
AFTER THE BATTLE

The Jeep Hill Challenge is a timed ¼ mile run up to the top of Jeep Hill, touch the flag and return to start … in full combat load with (unloaded), weapon!!!

Each challenge will consist of 4 troopers competing against each other or as teams; units and nationalities may challenge each other.  All Re-enactors are welcome to participate.   

Rules
1) Full combat load for your impression
2) Full canteen and rations
3) Full ammo pouches or 1 bandolier / weapon
4) Proper head ware for your impression
5) Proper foot ware for your impression
6) 4 Troopers will line up at the start line
7) Start at whistle/ stop watch started
 Run to top of hill, touch flag, umpire will spot, if you fail to touch the flag, the umpire will call you back before you can continue
9) Each runner will be timed and times will be recorded
10) You must cross the finish/start line with your impression intact

Each participant will receive a certificate with there name and time on it

Jeep Hill is located near the Leuthauser Shelter

Registration will be Friday night and Saturday until 2 pm at the First Special Service Force: HRS camp site located across from the flag pole

Sponsored by: First Special Service Force, HRS www.fssf6-3.com

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

My latest count is 45 of us coming from the 84th/12 AG WAC.  We will have 4 jeeps.

LTC Tim
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »

Forcemen,

"The Jeep Hill Challenge", A Physical Training Contest, sponsored by the "First Special Service Force, HRS", will take place after the second battle on Saturday 25 April 2009 at WW II Weekend, Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO, You may pre register teams of 4 only by responding to this e-mail, this will give me an idea as to how many certificates to make.  Each individual will have to register at the Event.  Each person will have to sign a waver.  Each participant will receive a certificate of completion with your name, unit and running time on it.   

"The Jeep Hill Challenge" is only one activity of WW II Weekend hosted by the 2nd Ranger Battalion of St. Louis. If you only make one big event this year, let it be WW II Weekend.  Looking forward to seeing all of you at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO on the weekend of the 24-26 April 2009.   

2nd LT Adkins, G.A.
Adjutant, First Special Service Force, HRS

"see you out there"
Hollywood
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »

NOTE: This after action report contains my own personal observations and opinions. Co A, 116th Inf Reg, 29th ID as a unit is not responsible for the content of this email.

Reenactors:

I arrived at JB at approximately 1730 hrs Friday night with my brother (Pfc Cullen Williams) and Pfc Ryan Hite to find things in Co A's camp under the extremely capable leadership of T/Sgt Travis Forrest, Sgt Chase Adkins, and Sgt Dwight Davidson. After stowing gear and hiding the little FARB we brought I drifted around to converse. Things were smooth that evening, with a great dinner provided by Co D, 2nd Ranger Bn. After chow and some more conversation Sgt Davidson and I strung com wire to the 121st Engineers' camp to provide field phone communication.

After a great night's sleep I was ready to put on my reenactor face for the public. We tried to keep our camp as correct and realistic as possible, or, to quote Sgt Davidson, to keep it a "working camp." No displays. It was April 1944 somewhere in England. If the 29th ID didn't have it in a sausage camp in the UK, we didn't have it either. As company clerk I found myself busy typing out orders, requests, memos, and making com checks on the field phones every hour. I have to say I'm really proud of our unit. I think we did a smashing job and we were complemented over and over again all weekend long as to the authenticity of our camp (by fellow reenactors and the public alike).

I had registered early Saturday morning at the MP post, and a little later Co A conducted our own safety and authenticity check before leaving for S&A with the other units. After S&A we spent a little time in camp, going over the battle plan, then loaded into vehicles for the trip to the battlefield. Co A was really fortunate to have Brian Carlin and his buddy Matt fall in with us (they're both great reenactors who have excellent impressions and really know their stuff).

I believe the crowd really got a kick out of the battles, as the scenarios were planned pretty well, using the most of the low number of Axis forces present for the event, and the pyro looked great, although using powerful charges in such dry conditions obviously caused a few snags. Fortunately, for the first and second battles there were no serious brush fires. The rest of the day was great, with lots of spectators to talk to.

I was really looking forward to the dance; the evening air, cold beverages, and Co A obviously provided the best looking reenactors, hands down. I must say we clean up rather well. The Friends of Jefferson Barracks do an excellent job with the dance. I tip my hat to them.

Sunday morning we all awoke around 0600 hrs to prepare for the day's festivities. I was disappointed we didn't have the convoy through the cemetery as in past years, as I personally think that should be a permanent activity at WWII Weekend, but we talked to Perry Locke and he invited us to ride out with him and a few others to pay our respect to the soldiers buried there. As a side note, Perry was extremely helpful throughout the weekend, offering us rides whenever we needed them. He was very, very generous with transportation, always going out of his way to make sure we were taken care of.

I had promised Dennis Nichols I would volunteer for MP duty on Sunday, as that is the day he's somewhat shorthanded on help. I have a new appreciation for Dennis and the rest of his MPs. You stand in the sun, bake, deal with prick reenactors, bake some more, try to keep things on schedule, and that's all before the battle even begins. It is, for the most part, a thankless, but neccessary, job.

The last battle certainly provided some excitement, as we had a nice brush fire, due to the fact the fire extinguishers were not refilled (whether this was due to an oversight or a mis-communication I'm not entirely sure). However, fast action from all of the reenactors on the field had the fire under control and extinguished before the fire department arrived. The only injuries I know of were some slight burns (my hands included) and a couple of dragon's teeth. We were very, very lucky. (I also find it rather humorous we decided to burn down the field on Earth Day).

After the battle the kids were allowed onto the field to search for shell casings, and after they were all finished the other MPs and I rode back to camp. Upon arrival I was rather disappointed that many reenactors had pulled their POVs into camp before the 1500 hrs deadline. After talking to a few, and receiving something short of death threats, I realized there was little an MP armband and brass whistle could do to maintain the authenticity standards. At 1500 hrs I completed packing up my gear and I met Sgt Davidson at the battlefield to help tear down. 2 1/2 hours later everything was nicely packed inside the power house and we officially ended WWII Weekend.

Over all, this was a great WWII Weekend. Were there hiccups? Absolutely. Dennis Nichols summed it up best by saying, "We shoot for excellence but sometimes have to settle for good enough." I think the biggest things that could be improved are: Make sure the fire extinguishers are filled and readily available (and they were during the 1st and 2nd battles), clear the field around the pyro if pyro is to be used, and make sure all units are present for S&A (I ran into an 82nd AB glider unit who refused to attend S&A Sunday because they "didn't want to" but still made it out onto the field). There's room for improvement but I have to give credit where credit is due. Co D, 2nd Ranger Bn provided a quality event, and they're continually attempting to make it even better. Thanks guys.

"Ever Forward"

-Peter Williams
Co A, 116th Inf, 29th ID
Sweetmeat
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:02 PM »

Congratulations on the success of the Jeep Hill Challenge. Lets do it again next year. Just a few things about WWII Weekend. First off, I would like to thank all the reenactors who helped fight the blaze. Hot, tired, and dehydrated. You still carried on the battle for the audience. My gratitude and appreciation to you all. We had over 12,000 spectators come through the park that weekend. All things considered they all seemed to have a good time. Overall this year was the biggest WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks in history. Some people have e-mailed me with some lost and found issues. Some articles include a folding shovel, glasses, a garrison cap with blue piping at the dance, an M! garand front sight, and a set of eating irons after the friday night dinner. If you know of the whereabouts of these items please contact me k.owens@2ndrangers.org  . Thank you to all the new units that attended this year. The USO girls did an outstanding job taking care of the veterans at the battle field. The weather was just about perfect. I accept full responsibility for the problems that happpened this year. Its my first time planning this event and it was dropped off in my lap without any prior knowledge on how to organize an event this size.  I will try to get things right next year. We tried new things, like a safety and authenticity briefing, mandatory registration, reenactor identification and pass to the battle field. They all didn't go according to plan, but almost worked. Perhaps if we continue to do them the same way, eventually they may work. We upadted 400 pictures from this event on our website. I hope you check them out. Thanks for your participation and support of this event. It was my privileged and honor to organize this event for all of you. I hope to have the opportunity to do it again for you.

Thank you,

Sgt. Kevin Owens
 D Co, 2nd Ranger Bn (reenacted)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »

Check out this great video of WW II Weekend.

papajoad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYS7-7IShv8

"see you out there"
Buster
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:11:22 PM »

Wow.  Nice video.  Excellent work Jerome W.  See you next year!

Buster
Ranger_Nick
2nd Rangers Field Command
Private First Class

Semper Adduco

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:05:07 AM »

That was BY FAR the coolest synopsis of our event I have yet seen.  It shows what we do, covers the whole event, and does it without words.  I wonder if that guy would let us use that in advertising?

R_N
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:24:19 AM »

World War II Weekend AAR

I have now attended 6 WW II Weekends as a participant, each year I have had a great time even with the rain which we had some years.  This year was amongest the best.  The weather was perfect, dry and in the 80's, the attendance was up with around 30 units being represented, the battles were fun even with the grass fires and the Jeep Hill Challenge went well even though I had 28 pre register and only 8 re-enactors and 5 general public actually did the Challenge. 

The First Special Service Force HRS had a new camp site this year and I really like the new spot, and I think we had a good camp display.  Its lucky for me that I only live 20 minutes away which makes it easy to bring out most of my toys and to get them back home.  Pop's did a great job with all of his canvas and Ed and Tammy added with there wall tent.  The 14th Armor pitched in with there tents and the Field Latrene was a hit with the public. 

This year I skipped the USO Dance at Grants Shelter and I missed the Memorial Ceremony at the Battle of the Bulge Monument which were some of the other activities taking place that weekend.

I would like to offer a "Job well done" to the 2nd Rangers for there outstanding job and I'm looking forward to next year.

S/SGT Adkins, G.A.
FSSF HRS Commanding

"see you out there"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: