20th Century GI
December 19, 2018, 04:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blank adapting the 1911  (Read 10113 times)
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:24:58 PM »

Hey, Contemplating purchasing the Kahr Arms WWII look-alike 1911. I want it for reenacting and for live firing. I've thought about buying a seperate barrel and blank adapting 1 so I can change it out depending on the need as it would get really old pulling the action back every time I wanted to fire.  Does anyone know ANYTHING about doing this?  What a barrel might cost, cost involved in blank adapting a 1911 barrel and what exactly happens to do this? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Brent Reeves
20th Engineers

Brent Reeves
20th Engineering Combat Battalion
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »

Brent,

I just bought a 1911-A1 that I'm going to blank out. I plan on doing this in several weeks if everything goes right. I'll let you know what I do and how to make the thing work. I've seen several 1911 blanked out and they seem to work. Like anything else, some work better than others. Bill Sheets has one he did. His seems to work well. He took a old barrel and put a set screw type adapter in it so you can change out the adapter easily.

He ground the lugs off the barrel and cut a slot into the slide so larger cases can eject. His seem to work. I don't think I'm going to do any cutting on the slide. I know I'm going to have to make some different blanks for it. The cases that I use for the Thompson are to long. I might shorted them or use shorter brass. We'll see how it goes.

Hope to have this project up and working by next year.

Capt. Sparky

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:49:31 AM »

Capt,
  Thanks for reply and def. let me know what you do and how it goes...I too would not want to modify it for the larger brass. Like you said make smaller or I know Atlantic Wall sells tompson ones and unmodified 1911 ones. so they're out there. I'll also ask Bill Sheets if I can look at his the next time I see him so I can get an idea. Thanks again and keep me posted!

Brent Reeves
20th Combat Engineers

Brent Reeves
KKRAD
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »

Dear Brent;

I have modified upwards of thirty 1911's to fire blanks.  No modification to the slide is necessary if you use shortened .45 blanks.  I start with a used GI barrel and grind the locking lugs off.  I then grind (and polish) the top of the barrel as well.  Then I thread the barrel to take a set screw.  I have found that different .45's take different sized holes in their set screws.  I'm going to try to have some .45 blank adapting kits made up for the GAP to consist of a blank adapted barrel, and 50 special short .45 blanks.  Good luck with your project.

Sincerely;
Tom Arter
ww2kkrad@hotmail.com
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:55:44 PM »

I'll have to stay in touch with you and look you up at the GAP. If you get those made up and figure out a price, let me know! thanks!

Brent Reeves
20th Engineers

Brent Reeves
Sean Thornton
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »

Brent,
Talk to Todd K. he has used my blank barrel in his 1911 and the short blans I make.  It seems to work pretty good.  There is not too much to blanking the barrel.  Talk with Todd, I think he is going to the GAP with you.
Andy
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 06:19:35 PM »

ok, that Todd K...yeah, I'll have to talk to him about it. do you do blank barrels too?? like make them for others? or were you talking he just used the one you have? thanks!

Brent Reeves
20th Engineers

Brent Reeves
Sean Thornton
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »

I think Todd could make one or probably you could make one.  It is not that hard.  I bought mine from one of the blank venders but then had trouble with the blanks I purchased from them so I make my own now.  I have done a couple of Tokarev barrels which are about the same as a 1911 barrel.  I make my own blanks for the Tokarev too but then I make my own blanks for everything I need blanks for. 
Andy

ok, that Todd K...yeah, I'll have to talk to him about it. do you do blank barrels too?? like make them for others? or were you talking he just used the one you have? thanks!

Brent Reeves
20th Engineers
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »

After a year of working on this pistol I got mine up and running. I first bought a 1911 with a aluminum frame and steel slide. After firing some blanks out of the thing with no blank adapter the frame cracked. So, I bought an Essex steel frame and started the rebuild process. I had one of my good buddies Perry blank out the barrel. He did a great job of cutting the locking lugs and putting a set serew in the barrel.
After the process I bought some 1911 blanks from Gopher munitions works that seem to work and function real well in the pistol. One thing I do got to say is that most magazines don't work with all 7 rounds. I load 5 rounds and the thing seems to real well with that. As of now I have 3 kill with the pistol and works well as a back-up to a rifle or sub gun.

Capt. Sparky

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
arffguy
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »

Cpt. Sparky,
  Glad you got yours up and running...If I were to find a barrel for my gun, would your friend be willing to blank it out for me after I sign the hold-harmless agreement and all that  Wink ? I seriously just don't have the time or means available to do this myself. See if you can find out if he'd do one for someone else and what it might cost. Replay or Private Message me. Thanks  Grin

Brent Reeves
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: