20th Century GI
December 18, 2018, 09:58:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • World War II Weekend: April 25, 2008 - April 27, 2008
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: World War II Weekend 2008 Jefferson Barracks, MO, 25-27 April 2008  (Read 9591 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:08:54 AM »

Living History Camps, Weapon & Gear Demos, 3 Public Battles, Military Vehicle Displays,Vendors, Big Band Dance at Grant's Shelter 26 April, contact: Perry Locke @ perrylocke@charter.net

How to get there using Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:50:15 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
Gilligan
Administrator
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:22:43 PM »

Attached to this post is the official handout for the event.
Please print and help get the word out.  This is the biggest event in the area.
Gilligan

My Impressions:
WW2:  First Special Service Force
VIETNAM:  196th Light Infantry Brigade
Sweetmeat
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »

Here is a little promo clip i put together for WWII Weekend 08. Spread the word, this year will be better than years past. Also there are more clips on there from other events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJt8XttVUO4

http://www.youtube.com/user/1garand
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

World War Weekend is only 5 weeks away and the 2nd Rangers always put on a good show.  20th Century G.I. is looking forward to seeing all of you at WWII Weekend.  Check 20th Century G.I. for more information over the next few weeks or go to the 2nd Rangers Web-site:   http://www.2ndrangers.org/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:27:22 PM by papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »

This will be my first at WWII weekend as either a spectator or participant.  I would like to get a lot of photos and video of this from just walking around and during the battle.  My question is this, will it be frowned on for me to be in uniform and having a digital camera and video camera with me?  I am sure I can get a pack to carry video camera in if need be. 

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »

Dinadin,

I can not answer for the 2nd Rangers, but I see no problem with your cameras.  Most of us will have some sort of camera and a few will have movie cameras.  I say the more exposure the better.  papajoad Wink

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to drop a note to everyone and let them know that WWII weekend is just 2 short weekends away. The date is April 26 and 27, 2008. I've heard that the 14th will have about 25 -30 guy's at the event. Just to let everyone know we have the barn area this year.

I've been doing WWII Weekend for alot of years. Here's what going on this year, first, I will be setting starting April 23 after work. Anyone that wants to help please contact me. This will be pulling the wagon out and getting lighting in the barn. Thursday night I want to get the tent (my GP small) and other equipment there. Some folks are spending the night Thursday. If you want to that's OK..

It sounds like the bulk of the out-of-town folks will show up some time Friday.. That's great.. We have plenty of room for vehicles but a somewhat limited space in the barn for people to sleep. I would say there is enough room for 10 and 12 in the loft and about 5-8 downstairs.  Jon Shoop has informed me that some of you will be sleeping "France Style" with the vehicles while others will have a hotel for the night. Please contact me if you are planning on staying in the barn Friday and Saturday night..

I have only some of the major event stuff for the weekend. Look at the 2nd Ranger website for all the details. www.2ndrangers.org

Friday night I would like to have a small unit meeting with everyone to go over some ground rules and make sure everyone knows what is expected of them for the weekend. If time permits I might show a couple 16mm films.

Saturday morning I will have breakfast for everyone starting at about 0730 to about 0830. I will be serving scrambled eggs, ham and French bread and some type of drink. Formation will be at 1000. Make sure you're ready to go by then..

Battle is at 1100

Lunch will be served at 1230 to 1300 or their about. I will serve everyone Soup ( chicken noodle or potato) with French bread and some type of drink.

The 2nd battle is at 1400(2:00pm) We need to gear -up and be ready to go by no later than 1330 (1:30pm) no later..

The park closes at 1700 to the public.

I will serve dinner at around 1800 (6:00pm). At dinner I will be serving Meat loaf with mashed potatoes and gravy ( Scott World famous Stick to your ribs mashed potatoes) with French bread and drink.

That evening around 1930 and 2000 (7 and 7:30pm) Jon Shoop will have a guest speaker that was in the 14th and will talk to the unit body about that.

There is the Dance at Grants Shelter that night.  Reenactors are free if you want to go.. However I will be showing some old movies in the barn at dark. Also, Friends of J.B . will be having there on BBQ dinner at Grants if you want to do that. The cost is about $7.50 a plate.

If you don't like the meals I provide their is a Jack in the Box near the entrance of the park or other restaurants around the area. I will be asking for a donation for the cost of the food...  I think around $10.00 for 4 meals is quit cheap.

Sunday..

Get up by 800

Breakfast is at 0830 or when I get it ready.. It will be the same scrambled eggs, ham and French bread with drink.

There might be a formation sometime that morning.. In the past not many show-up for it because it is unclear what time the formation is..

01030-1100 is the call for the cemetery convoy.. This has been the hi light for me for the last several years. We convoy thru J.B's cemetery and the Rangers read about one of the famous  WWII vets that have been buried there. This is a great time. Not a dry eye in the house.

Sunday's battle is at 1200 and we will go there from the cemetery.

After the battle on Sunday we will start the camp break down at about 1400.

Looking forward to seeing you all.

Please forward this to everyone that plans on making the weekend...

Thanks so much,

Scott Wilke
Capt 68th Armored Inf. 14th Armored

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

OK Guys......

Looks like the 14th is hanging it all out on this one.

We will have at least 2 and possibly 3-Stuarts there. Tim and I are working on the logistics, time and fuel. Everyone is aware of the 4 dollar a gallon diesel fuel and that's in St. Louis.....out bound even more. When you get 5 miles to the gallon...you can figure the rest.

Also several halftracks, WC, M20 M3A1 armored car and towed guns.
We will have 11 1919s in the field as well as small arms. We will need a linking crew Friday night.

We have also arranged some support for the Veterans. I have several golf cart-people movers on site for disabled Vets....Also will have a tent erected at the battleground for Vets only in case of inclement weather.

We will also be doing a salute to the 761 tank battalion with 2-reinactors and a tank display honoring these guys.

A veteran 761st member will be in attendance, Mr. Roosevelt Harris of St. Louis, Mo.

Hopefully Lyle Bouck will be there. I am working on that. A DSC winner, youngest Lt. In the US Army, he is a delight to chat with.

Lots going on...............for sure. I too will be in the field Wednesday with the tent, the arriving 14th crew from Louisville and working on the newest M5A1 to the unit...Ugly Betty.

See ya all there..............

Jon

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »

Gentlemen,   

WWII Weekend at Jefferson Barracks is closely upon us. This year for safety reasons we decided to script a battle plan which includes drive lanes for vehicle drivers, and pyrotechnics  The battle plan will be presented Friday evening at a time to be announced  for unit commanders. The plan will also be explained before each battle. After each battle scenario there is usually a weapons and vehicle demonstration. This is the time vehicle owners can drive their vehicles to the front closer to the crowd for their inspection.

Pfc. Kevin Owens   
2nd Ranger B.
D co.

"see you out there"
PerryLocke
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »

Men,
  WWII Weekend is fast approaching! Here is the schedule of events. Please try hard to be READY at the times listed.
  Perry Locke
  President, 2nd Rangers of St. Louis

WORLD WAR II WEEKEND 2008
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

FRIDAY – APRIL 25
   0900 HOURS              ENCAMPMENT SETUP.
   1100-1500                   EDUCATIONAL VISITS.
   1700 HOURS              REGISTRATION BEGINS.
            1800 HOURS      DINNER FOR ALL IN RANGER COOK TENT   

SATURDAY – APRIL 26
   0700 HOURS              REVEILLE.
   0700 HOURS              REGISTRATION OPENS.
   0730 HOURS              RANGER PLATOON AND SQUAD LEADERS
MEETING. CAPT. MCQUILLAN’S TENT.
   0800 HOURS              RANGER COMPANY FORMATION AND INSPECTION.
                                                RAISING OF THE COLORS IN RANGER CAMP.
                                       ALL RANGERS MUST REPORT AT THIS TIME.
   0830 HOURS             OFFICER’S MEETING FOR ALL PARTICIPATING C.O.’S
                                                RANGER CAMP.
   0900 HOURS             ALL UNIT FORMATION AND RAISING OF THE COLORS,
                                                VISITOR CENTER, ENCAMPMENT OPEN TO PUBLIC.
   1030 HOURS              TROOP MOVEMENT TO BATTLE AREA.
   1100 HOURS              FIRST BATTLE.
   1145 HOURS              WEAPONS AND UNIFORM DEMO – BATTLEFIELD.
                                                ALL UNITS ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE.   
   1330 HOURS              TROOP MOVEMENT TO BATTLE AREA.
   1400 HOURS              SECOND BATTLE.
   1445 HOURS              WEAPONS AND UNIFORM DEMO – BATTLEFIELD.
   1630 HOURS              LOWERING OF THE COLORS, TAPS.
   1700 HOURS              ENCAMPMENT CLOSED TO PUBLIC.
   1700 HOURS              DINNER $5 - GRANTS SHELTER.
            1900 HOURS              BIG BAND DANCE – GRANTS SHELTER.

SUNDAY – APRIL 27
   0700 HOURS              REVEILLE.
   0900 HOURS              RANGER COMPANY FORMATION, INSPECTION, AND
                                                RAISING OF COLORS. ENCAMPMENT OPENS TO PUBLIC.
   1045 HOURS             ALL TROOPS FORMED AND READY TO MOVE!
   1100 HOURS             TROOP CONVOY LEAVES FOR J.B. CEMETERY
                                                MEMORIAL CEREMONY.                                             
   1200 HOURS             BATTLE.
   1245 HOURS             WEAPONS AND UNIFORM DEMO – BATTLEFIELD.
   1500 HOURS             CAMP CLOSED. TAKE DOWN.
PerryLocke
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »

Reenactors, Here is a copy of the email I sent to all Rangers. I hope this helps all units.

Rangers,

Time is rapidly approaching for our big event! I know you are all busy and excited. Let’s be sure and pull off our usual classy show. Remember that everything we do is being observed by the public, some of whom are the veterans we portray, so be careful about correctness. Look hard at your camp and personal effects. Soda cans, cell phones, food wrappers, coolers, nylon chairs, and colorful tarps are all things to watch. We are the hosts and will be on duty 24X3. We will lead this event by our examples and pride in our unit. While we are being correct remember to have fun and enjoy each others company. We are friends working together for a common purpose.

I would like to personally thank all those who have helped with this event. A massive amount of behind the scenes work is done and often goes unrecognized but I will be first and last to say thank you! Also thanks to those who work hard at the event. We really are a team and no one member could ever do it all.

Weather: NO WHINING! We have fought the weather before and we won. I have been rained on, snowed on, blasted by the heat and even hailed on and am still here. I would rather not hear about the latest radar picture from some weather geek forecaster hiding under a desk in some bunker downtown. We are men and will deal with it. Toe the line with me! If you like to whine about it I will be glad to think up a job for you so everyone does not get infected. Chin up.

Schedule: everyone, especially Rangers, should have a schedule and be ready at the times stated. There will be no delay or deviation from the schedule. If you have a better idea be sure and make a note of it for next year.

Camp setup: I will be setting up the camp Wednesday afternoon maybe about 2pm. The ropes and my tent will go up then. We will try and up the big tent about 4 or 5 and will need some help with that!   

Camp behavior: as the event hosts all of us should keep an eye out for dumb stuff and take action. One of the biggest problems is personal vehicles in the square, the authentic area. From Friday afternoon till Sunday at 3 no vehicles should be in the area for more than a few minutes. If you see this speak up, politely, and tell them to move it out soon. If that does not work get our MP’s or I and I will fix it. If you see someone setting up a modern tent or shelter in the square tell them no right away then tell me. If we wait till it is all set up there is always a problem. If you see a kid named Sean hanging around call me right away and he will be kicked out. He was stealing small stuff last year. Kids were playing with matches in the pine needles last year. If you see this take action right away, don’t wait till you see me.

If there is a major incident or accident call me right away on my cell at 314-707-1142.

There will be several new things this year. Dinner for all in the Ranger cook tent Friday at 1800 hours, bring your mess kit! Registration will be in the Ranger camp in the big tent. We will have real pyro for the first time and safety will have to be carefully observed. There will be more reenactors than ever. The vendors, more this year, will be next to the food vendor at the visitor’s center. There will be assigned camping. On Sunday we will do the cemetery convoy and then, on the way to the reenactment, we will do a brief drive by parade at the adjacent VA hospital for the wounded veterans. This will take 10 minutes but I feel it will be rewarding to them, there by making it worth it for us. There will be 600 to 750 boy scouts camping on JB base property and rotating through to see our efforts. They will line the fence along the edge of the base as we drive by Sunday on our way to the cemetery and salute us so look sharp. I would like to get a group picture of the Rangers Saturday about lunch time so be there and be ready. There will be money  to help pay participants with large vehicles for transportation expenses. If you have receipts from a professional shipper give it to a Ranger board member to be considered.

For the past month or so I have been looking into a new battlefield as the one we are using is getting small. There is a field behind our building that is 375 yards square instead of the 100X300 we now have. More info to follow. Is this the last year for the field we now use?

Saturday evening Jon Shoop, 14th Armored, will be hosting a veteran named Lyle Bouck who will be giving a talk about his experiences in WWII. He was the Lieutenant of the I&R Platoon of the 394th Infantry Regiment of the 99th ID, the most decorated of all platoons in World War II with the Presidential Unit Citation, four Distinguished Service Crosses, five Silver Stars, and ten Bronze Stars with V devices, all for their 20 hour struggle with an entire German battalion at the beginning of the battle of the bulge. Not a single man in the I&R platoon died in the war or in POW camps, all made it home safely after the war, but did not receive their medals until October 25, 1981. There is an excellent book about his unit called The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw. He will be available to sign your book if you have one.

Perry Locke
President, 2nd Rangers of St. Louis
www.2ndrangers.org
perrylocke@charter.net
(314) 707-1142
PerryLocke
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:26 PM »

There will be money  to help pay participants with large vehicles for transportation expenses. If you have receipts from a professional shipper give it to a Ranger board member to be considered.
  Perry Locke
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »

For a look at the Battlefield at WW II Weekend, and photos of Historic Jefferson Barracks, (WIP), please go to the Photo Gallery, 2008 events. 

"see you out there" 

"see you out there"
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »

Here are the pictures I took at WWII Weekend.  I am currently working on compiling a video from the video I took of the second battle and from sunday.  I will post that link later.  I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

http://www.odfever.com/folly/Galleries/WW2_Weekend_2008/WW2_Weekend_2008.htm

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Gump
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »

Im not going to lie but ww2 weekend was a great event,from the displays to the way the battles were planned it went over well.before i go i would like to thank the rangers for a great weekend and i would like to thank  Nick, Dave, Kevin, and Ryan,Dwight,and the rest of you for the help and support with the 29th Div.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: