20th Century GI
August 20, 2019, 11:40:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 5th Annual WWII Winter Hike: February 09, 2008
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The 5th Annual WWII Winter Hike, at Hawn State Park, 9 February 2008  (Read 8989 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »

Troop,

We had representatives of the First Special Service Force 6-3, 68th AIB /14th Armored Division, 116 Reg /29th ID and the 2nd Ranger Battalion.  Every one completed the course of 12 miles with full pack and dummy weapons with very little grumbling.  I think that the best remark of the day was:  "I now have a greater appreciation for what our soldiers in WWII went through". 

That was what I was hoping for, the idea behind this hike is to allow the re-enactor to experience some of the training that Mountain troops, Rangers and in some way the regular ground pounders went through, it was training like this that helped to win the war.  I really hope that next year more re-enactors will come out an play.

Germans, Russians, Italians et all, this hike is for you as well.  There are a lot of great photo ops at this event.  If we had Germans at this one, the photo ops could have been endless.  But we did get a lot of photo's, so please check out the Photo Gallery on this web site, they will be posted by 11 Feb. 

Thank you to all that attended and I'm looking forward to next year.

S/SGT Adkins
F.S.S.F. 6-3, Commanding

"see you out there"
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: