20th Century GI
December 19, 2018, 04:09:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • 5th Annual WWII Winter Hike: February 09, 2008
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The 5th Annual WWII Winter Hike, at Hawn State Park, 9 February 2008  (Read 8063 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:19:56 PM »

This is a 12 mile hike to simulate the rigorous training some elements of the U.S. military underwent during World War II.  World War II uniform and equipment only, authenticity will be strictly enforced, Axis impressions welcome.  NO weapons, (guns), fighting knife, bayonet OK.  For information contact: 20th Century G.I. @ 314-752-1025 or papajoad@20thcenturygi.com

Creat your own driving instructions using Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:27:05 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:30:45 PM »

This hike is a great time and well worth doing.  If you look at the pictures from last year in the Photo Gallery will see the 2x4 guns that we were using.  This hike takes place in a State Park and I have tried for several years to talk the State Parks Department into letting re-enactors cary real weapons.  It is a NO GO!.  I have tried everything and the best that I could get was a photo opportunity in some remote part of the park away from the public and under Park Ranger supervision, then after the photo shoot, the weapons had to be cased and stored at the Ranger station.  Ya right!  So if you have a training weapon that can do nothing,then bring it.  A weapon made from a 2x4 looks farby but at least you wont feel naked.  papajoad
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:42:39 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »

Hawn State Park, Sante Genevieve, MO, is located south of St. Louis, down I-55 to Highway 32, exit #150, Sante Genevieve exit, turn right, west, 12 miles and follow the signs to the park entrance procede to the parking lot/trailhead.  If you have never been to this State Park you are in for a treat, this place is rugged and beautiful.  This hike will only be canceled if there is more than 6" of snow or really bad ice, the colder the better.

Bring a tactical lunch and after the hike, if you want, we usually have dinner at one of the fine eating establishments in Sant Genevieve. 

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

OK, GI and our Axis Friends, get ready for a good time at Hawn State Park.  this is a reminder that in 6 weeks there will be the hike.  All WWII re-enactors are welcome, Axis and Allied. If you have any questions please either post them here or send me an e-mail through this site.  See you out there.  papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:50:14 PM »

Axis and Allies, get out that winter gear, ruck-sacks, parkas et all, the 5th Annual World War II Winter hike is just around the corner, 9 February 2008, I hope to see all of you out there.  papajoad

"see you out there"
Hollywood
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »

Gary,

I'm planning on being at the hike. So are other members of the 116th. So the "Blue and Gray" is going to be in attendance!

-Peter
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »

Troop!

As of this weekend the 2x4 M-1's are ready, (only 2), and Buster the Bazooka are ready for the hike.  If you have a training weapon that is some-what correct you can use it.  If you bring air-soft, DO NOT BRING BB'S, we are in a State Park and they look at environmental damage with leaving plastic behind.  If you have any questions please contact me through this Forum. 

Looking forward to seeing you at the hike.  papajoad

"see you out there"
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »

Hello,

I am new to this forum and reenacting in general.  Anyway I saw this post and problems with it being a State Park.  My friend have in Patterson, about 30 miles North of Popular Bluff, and he has about 250 acres.  About 160 acres of that is a paintball field with tons of trails and hills, you may have to make a few laps to get the same distance, but he won't have a problem with weapons.  If you are interested for next year, contact me.

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »

Thank you, I would like to talk to you about the use of the land for such things as hikes or, if it is available, tacticals.  papajoad

"see you out there"
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »

PM sent

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 03:54:15 PM »

Troop,

7 days to the Hike, get out that winter gear and 2x4 M-1's, PVC Bazookas, and don't forget the cameras for some great photo op's. 

'see you out there"

papajoad

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 05:23:45 PM »

Troop!

Please meet at the Pickle Creek Trailhead at Hawn State Park @ 7:30, the Hike will start at 8am.  From the Main Gate, Stay on the main road down the steep hill and stay to the right at the fork in the road, that will take you to the Trailhead parking lot. 
Bring a tactical lunch with you.
NO ammo or real guns.
If you want to do this hike but do'nt think your combat boots will make it, wear your hiking boot instead, that will be the only exception to the authenticity of your impression.  I want every one to have fun, not be in pain. 

'see you out there"
papajoad

"see you out there"
Gump
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 12:49:04 PM »

the 29th will be attending with five strong,see you all there, "29 LETS GO"
Gump
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

so gentlemen the hike was today it was a tretrous 13 miles but we made it.We pushed on as the krouts kept coming.little did they know we had two bazookas.After all i want to the papajoad for putting on the event and it was glad to see everyone out there.I am proud of my 29th guys they came out and stuck with it,there was no pussing out.thanks goes out to you.Everyone was getting tired toward the end but with a little moral support of "we only got a mile left" made some of them push on even harder.thanks and it was a great time, everyone who went had a blast and those of you that did you missed out
dwight
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

thanks to gary for putting this event on. there were 8 guys with four groups being represented. like travis said the last part was the toughest, but everyone made it back in one piece. i think we all had a good time. i know i did.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: