20th Century GI
December 19, 2018, 04:11:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Linked Events
  • Battle of the Bulge, Nevada MO: January 11, 2008 - January 13, 2008
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Battle of the Bulge tactical, Nevada, MO, 11 January 2008  (Read 7063 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »

Battle of the Bulge Tactical, Camp Clark, Nevada, Mo, $15 includes Barracks.  Contact Dave Hruska @ dhruska@kc.rr.com

How to get there using Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 05:30:06 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:18:16 PM »

Support re-enacting in Missouri.  Last year's tactical was one of the best new events of the year.  Camp Clark was used during WWII as a German POW camp and the original barracks are still there.  The battle ground is excellent, the scenario's were good and we had heated barracks, (not the pow's), to sleep in.  The organizers did a great job putting on this event, (HRS).  I highly recommend this event.  papajoad

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:51:29 PM »

We will have a big element there.  Highly recommended.  Battle is ran in lanes with controllers with each squad to ensure good action.  I am only missing it because of two work conflicts...both of which I cant get around.

MAJ Tim
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:56:16 PM »

One of the things that 20th Century G.I. is trying to promote, is Re-enacting in Missouri.  I like traveling to other states for events, but Missouri has a lot of potential.  The 2nd Rangers do a great job with WWII. Weekend at Jefferson Barracks and the River Battle at Ft. Bellfountain, The Rail splitters are on top with there Convoy it looks like Branson will be a main stay in re-enacting in this state, we have kimmswick and starting last year there is Nevada, MO.

I for one would like to participate in the second year at Camp Clark.  I had a great time with this event. What I would like to see is for a large contingent from St. Louis to reserve several bays in the barracks and do it right.  Bring your foot locker's, WWII posters for the walls, old time radios and tunes,do your rack right,put your unit signs on the doors, let's turn this into a barracks event.  Last year I was so impressed by the LAH and there Barracks display, I was overwhelmed. 

Support re-enacting in Missouri, please let me know if you are interested in this idea,we need to reserve those barracks bay's soon.  papajoad 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 11:03:35 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:16:25 PM »

Well, how do I do this, let's see..., OK, here it is.  At this time I believe I goofed.  I originally had the date for this event to be 18-19 January 2008, I just found out that it is supposed to be 11-13 January 2008.  I went ahead and changed the calender, but I'm still waiting conformation from Dave Hruska, the event coordinator to be sure.  The new date came from the 35th ID web site which is the event sponsor so it should be good, but I will let you know ASAP.  I'm really sorry for any problems that this may have caused anyone, but I took the information from what I thought was a very reliable source, oh well, it is my fault.  papajoad   

"see you out there"
Railsplitter
Tech/5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »

It is the earlier date...11-12 January. 

I have about 30 that will be there weather permitting.  I have to teach in St Louis that weekend, so my 1SG will be running the show.

MAJ Tim
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »

Thank you, Maj Tim and Dave Hruska, the Date is 11-13 January 2008.  I will see you there.  papajoad

"see you out there"
STEVED.
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 05:56:46 PM »

Just signed in & can provide some input from this side of the state.
 One thing we were having a problem was about the date of this event ( Camp CLark ) vs. other events planned for Jan.  YOUR clanedar seems to reflect that the event over in Illinois ( Nyoga ? ) is being shown as the FOLLOWING weekedn after Nevada, but I have friends that tell me they are going to it instead of Nevada. SO, can anyone shed light on the Nyoga event ?  Is it the same weekend of Nevada ? 
  This will have some impact on Axis numbers for sure.  I only see currently about 25-30 Germans coming to Nevada at this point.
Steve
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:39:05 AM »

The dates listed on 20th Century G.I. are correct to the best of my knowledge.  Dave Hurska (Nevada), and Jeff Cornell (Neoga) provided me with the information. 

Nevada, MO:  11-13 January 2008

Neoga, IL:  19 January 2008

papajoad

"see you out there"
STEVED.
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »

Okey Dokey. I had heard from one of the guys who was going to Neoga ( sp?) and HE told me it was the same weekend. Called him last night & now he is "wavering" in his beliefs. 
  OK, this might be good then as this will free up some who were going East, now may come SW to the Nevada event.  Looks like we need more Axis, last year was nice to have equal numbers.
  I DID have the info on Nevada directly From D. Hruska, so I too knew "straight from the horses mouth" on that one. I tried unsuccessfully to contact the Cornell guy about his dates, figgered it was next best thing to post the ?here.
Steve

BTW, for those who missed the first one, weather wise it was a toss up. VERY heavy ice there upon arrival, (made for treacherous walking) and beginning of battle with some HARD packed snow on the site as well.  BUT, then about noonish it started to snow nicely, then heavily for a really awesome afternoon battle scenario.
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »

I thought the event at Camp Clark was done quite well.

After getting off work and getting loaded-up at Craig Brown's place, I wasn't sure we were going to make this event. We stopped in Jefferson City to grab a bite to eat. Afterwards, the compressor on the van went out. So, with smoke coming from the hood of the van we pulled over and figured out we had to do this trip with no de-froster. NBD.

Arrived at Camp Clark at around 10:00 pm just in time for the commanders meeting. Myself and papa-joad attend the meeting where we were informed of what type of battle we were doing the next day. To my surprise there was going to be 2 main battles. The first one was going to be a Battle of the Bulge style with forces fighting thru each other or "Point of Contact" style battle and a MOUT sight battle.

After questions were answered at this meeting, I went and got registered. Myself and papajoad walked back to the barracks and got unloaded. I got my bunk set-up and after some B/S-ing with the guys went to bed.

Formation was at 8:30 the next morning with a S/A check and briefing. Let the fun begin.... I was put in charge of 3rd platoon bacause of my rank and didn't mind leading this group. The group was us (14th Armored Inf) The 4th Armor and a British Common Wealth group with a jeep and 2 101 AB guy's. This turned out to be a great group to command.

After what seemed an hour march, we were at the jump off point. Our mission was to find the enemy and destroy them and not let and germans get thru our lines. Well the battle didn't quite go like that. After reaching our objective in about 15 mins our OP told us we had to move in a more southern direction. After being in the woods for an hour looking for the germans, one of the Brits came by in a jeep and told us that we needed to be back at the first objective.

So we back tracked and came in contact with the Germans. The battle ended with the 4th armored out flanking the germans into an open field where the 14th and Brits destroyed the enemy. I was real impressed with the way this battle ended. Great job..

After walking back to another check point and getting watered-up we walked to the MOUT sight. Our mission was to defend the sight. After getting the troops into the area I looked over the MOUT sight. About 5 buildings with a commanding view on the top floor of the main building. After lunch I got together with the other squad leaders and formulated a plan. The 14th took the main building and occupied it. The 4th went and formed a line of defense to the back of the building and the brits set-up to LP.

The plan was that the main building was the "ALAMO". When contact was made everyone was to falling back to the main building and defend it. This worked like a champ.. I was on the ground floor and took out several patrols with my Thompson when they go too close. I know that POPS and Papa-joad took out alot of Germans just by the amount of fire they were putting out. After the German PAC gun took out their position up on the 2nd floor me and Lt. Brown went and took their spots.  After putting 30 rounds into the PAC guns position, they fired again and took me  and Brown out.

This was a real heavy fire fight. The OP told me we had to retreat to the next jump off point. We reached the next point in about 10 minutes. Our mission was to retake the MOUT with the other platoons. I had already had a plan on how we were going to do this since I'd already looked over the sight.

After reaching the jump sight we had a well needed rest of about 30 min. I had everyone check ammo and told the men what we were going to do. Everyone agreed. The plan was to form a line and fork off and get behind two out buildings. Take the two far out building. Throw as much smoke at the main building and storm the main building.

Our main force was slowed by germans that were waiting on the far flanks of those buildings. No big surprise.Then we over ran the two out buildings, popped major smoke at the main building and started to over take it. A major fire fight broke out. A jeep with a .30 drove by and straifed the building. My group went to the building, got into it and took the top floor. This was done with alot of help from the other platoons. After this building was taken the battle was over.

We then took a short break, got some pictures and started the long walk back to the barracks. I had a great time. Thanks to everyone that was in my group. Looking forward to next time.

Capt. Scott Wilke

CO 14th Armored Inf.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:20:01 PM by Papajoad » Logged

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »

This is the event not to miss next year.  I really like the way the organizers run this event.  It is set up in 3 lanes, each one is a separate battle and there are umpires, which control the hits when necessary and they keep the Battle flowing.  I wish other events would go to this method.  It really keeps down the pissing matches and helps to make a good time for all. 

The first scenario was an exercise in Infantry movement which eventually ended in a battle, in an odd way it really worked out quite well and the battle was very good.  The second battle was really the best when we used the MOUT village.  14th Armor, 4th Armor, 101st Airborne and the British Airborne were tasked with holding the village first. After we were pushed out the Germans occupied the village and all three Platoons of Americans re-took the Village after a very stubborn defense.  this battle was a HOOT. 

There were just under 100 re-enactors, we were a little short on Germans with around 28 in attendance.  The cost was $15 which included the Barracks for 2 nights, a continental breakfast on Saturday morning a spaghetti dinner on Saturday night and 500 Francs to use for snacks and soft drinks at the USO, with each item costing 50 Francs. 

This is one of the most re-enactor friendly events that I have ever been at and I look forward to next year. 

Please check the photo gallery for the "2008 Events pictures" of this event and please check out the "Class of 1944" picture album, your mug shot may be there.

papajaod
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 04:31:01 PM by Papajoad » Logged

"see you out there"
crazydima
Private First Class

I love this hobby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »

Tovarischi,

I highly encourage folks to take the time to attend this event. One of the best kept secrets in the region.

I drove 6 hours to get there and it was worth it.

The Camp Clark National Guard  site is great with good barracks to live in. The training area we had to play with covers a square mile of varied terrain and is more than ample for what re-enactors are capable of handling.

I will have to say that you get the most bang for your buck at this event.

For the $15.00 registration fee you received:
1. A soft bunk in a warm barracks with showers and toilets.
2. Continental breakfast on Saturday morning.
3. A spaghetti dinner with all the fixins on Saturday evening.
4. You also received 500 Francs($5.00 Us dollars) in French script which was valid currency to be used in the USO club to by soda, chips, popcorn, snacks, etc. Everything in the USO club was 50 Francs each which worked out to be 50 cents USD.

The USO club was a very nice touch with period music and snacks plus decks of cards available to be borrowed for friendly games of chance. It gave folks a place to hang out other than in the barracks. I believe the club manager was Catherine and she was a blast.

The tactical was run according to NTC regs utilizing lanes and in my opinion is one of the better ways to run tactical simulations. It allows for far better control over the situation and prevents bug hunts and other undesirable situations which commonly occur at other tacticals. The morning was a "move to contact" scenario and provided for plenty of maneuver and firing. For some units they experienced more maneuvering than others. LOL! More re-enactors should take the time to learn how to read a map and use a compass. It comes in handy sometimes.

The MOUT site made for a very intense finale to the days scenarios and seemed to be a hit with almost everyone. The yelling smoke, gun fire, grenade sims all made for a very surreal experience.

My thanks to John and Darren of the German units with whom I served as their OC and it was a pleasure. A lot of good moments were had during the deployment. The Semi-auto PPSH41 was a lot of fun.  am saving up to get one of my own.

The event was a great time and well worth the effort, time and money to get there.

My hat is off to Dave Hruska and all the folks of the 35th who busted their humps to make it a wonderful time.

I will be back for the next one.

Sincerely,

Dima
(truly a Bad Boy of the Steppe)

Robert Leinweber
416th Rifles, 112th Rifle Division - RKKA (1939 - 1945)
A Troop, 106th CRS - USA (1941 - 1945)
USMC (1942-1945) Ding Hao Boys
Batallon de Cazadores No. 25 - Spain (1895 - 1898)
Independnet Company Sharpshooters - USA / CSA (1861 - 1865)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: