20th Century GI
June 18, 2018, 06:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this for the Veterans?  (Read 4256 times)
papajoad
Administrator
Lieutenant General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »

At a tactical at knob Creek recently, I over heard a couple of re-enactors talking about why they actually re-enact! the conversation went something like this;

Those who say they are doing this for the Veterans, don't get it.

I don't know about those guys, but I do not do this for the Veterans, this is fun, and I get away from things. this is for me, not them.

This is stress relief!

I agree, this is fun, I get away from the real world with each event, every time I pull the .49 cent trigger I know it was a 1940's kill of a Nazi or a Nip, or who knows what, but it is fun, stress relief, and that is for me.

But I have a few questions,  if this is just for fun, just to get away, just GI's weekend out, then why all the fuss about being accurate with the uniforms and equipment, why buy from At the Front, or What price Glory, or More Military, if it is just for fun, then why concern your self with accuracy and authenticity even down to the correct stitch pattern on the M-1941 field Jacket, to the correct boxer shorts you wear.  Why care about being correct if the Veterans and history don't matter!

These two guys have had there fingers in quite a few pies in this hobby, I really do believe that deep down they really do believe there is a place to honor the Veteran while there having fun.  I do! Even if it is just a clean pair of GI shorts from At the Front.     

"see you out there"
p51
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:38:44 PM »

Closed events don't honor anyone but the people who put the event on.
At least these guys you overheard were honest. But why do it right? Why do model railroad clubs bother painting steam locomotives the right paint jobs when they can just run cheap stuff out of the box?
Why does a men's league baseball team bother with matching uniforms?
Because it's a hobby and people want a full experience. Otherwise, why bother showing up at all?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:09:41 AM by papajoad » Logged

Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

http://desertstorm20th.webs.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: