20th Century GI
September 17, 2019, 03:38:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   links Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WWII airsoft  (Read 4777 times)
TooTall
Private First Class

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

What is the general thought on WWII airsoft guns.
I have several and use them for displays only at WWII events.
There is a separate group of guys who do WWII and use WWII style airsoft guns.
I have gone out with them and enjoyed it. There are new and very good versions of the WWII airsoft guns out there. Some of the newest ones due out in April are the M1918A2 BAR and the PPSH 41. Most are all metal with wood furneture.
Dinadin
Private First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »

I have an M1 Garand replica which is essentially a non-functioning airsoft rifle which I use when I don't feel comfortable bringing out my real one.  I also picked up a MP-40 non-gun which is all metal and you can cock, pull the trigger and remove the magazine and a hell of a lot cheaper than an semi or full auto one. 

I play paintball and I am just getting into airsoft, but I have yet to participate in a tactical event.  I have a hard time getting my head around how to take a hit in a tactical when you don't actually feel the hit.  Maybe it is just the years of paintball ground into my head. 

Other companies have released airsoft BARs before, but they have been in very limited numbers.  From what I have read they were really nice, but expensive, about half the price of an OOW semi auto one.  That is my only problem with the really high quality airsoft rifles that their prices approach the cost of the real weapons.

Rich
Schafer's Folly?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -- Edmund Burke
Scott Wilke
Private First Class

Reddy Kilowatt "Sparky"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:38:31 AM »

I think the airsoft stuff look O.K. However, I don't believe in using it a tactical reenactment. The airsoft stuff looks good sitting on a table if the proper modification are done to it, like painting over the red on the muzzle. At a tactical, were out there trying to get the fit and feel of what a real WWII soldier goes thru. I feel the air soft stuff does not do that. If you have ever used a real B.A.R., Thompson, Grease gun or M-1, you'll know the weight difference. You'll also note the weight in the ammo. I don't think the airsoft will hold up in many tacticles.
Most people at a distance won't know the difference between a airsoft and the real thing. However there is a big difference when you look close. So, if the airsoft is done properly, and looks good, I don't see a problem at a display where most people don't know the difference. Just my thoughts.

Sparky

Capt. Scott Wilke
14th Armored Division
papajoad
Administrator
Major General

Hooked on Re-enacting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 04:01:39 PM »

Airsoft should stay in the realm of the airsoft playing fields, not at any WWII, Korea or Viet Nam or for that matter any Living History Event.  The HRS has outlawed all airsoft even for display.  To most true re-enactors airsoft and paint ball are dirty words, both have there own arena in which to play, the type of re-enacting which I do has to be close to real.

You can argue that any blank firing weapon is not real such as the Kiliar .45's, which fire a 8mm blank round, but the sound is real, you can't get that from airsoft or paintball.   

Using such weapons for display is very disappointing for all involved.  Try talking about your M1 and let the person hold a plastic/metal toy and you lose all respect.  If you can't afford the real thing, then do with out, change you impression to reflect that which you can afford. 

If you want to play airsoft go to a airsoft event, if you want to play paintball go to a paintball event, if you want to play WW II come to the Champagne Campaign and bring our your real toy and have some quality trigger time.

papajoad   

"see you out there"
Joe_RCEME
Private First Class

Is anyone ever on here?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:14:02 AM »

I have used a few Airsoft rifles for displays. I am not ashamed to admit this either. I do heavy modifications to all the Airsoft systems I own so that can pass the 1 foot test. I use them for my modern Army impressions that I do for Vets. 2 years ago when I brought them out to the High Ridge Elks Lodge display the 2 county officers that were present both though I had 3 full auto weapons systems. The only thing you could tell that made them fake was the pistol mag green gas inlet. I have also fooled 2 WW2 vets at JB with my Thompson. I use real mags and wood furniture on them. I ensure I spend lots of time on them to make them look real and dont let anyone pick up any of my display items. This is just a thing I have learned and adhear to after one of my rifles was damaged beyond repair at one event. As for using them on the Battle Field I see this as a big NO. If you want to be in the Battle buy real or borrow. I see the battle as we are trying to look and feel exactly as the soldiers did and it is not a display of just equipment and weapons. I have sense moved on from the Airsoft as display weapons and have spent the time and money to buy real. Those of you who have seen the displays I partake in know how much of a stickler I am about authenticity. I can say it took me along time to agree to use Airsoft for the 2 displays I used them at.

"Sreb Mun Tuobal Lasti"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: